Badminton Hall on the Town Belt in Ruahine St cost £15,000 to build and was officially opened on 2 April 1959. It had four courts and was the first full-height hall in New Zealand. An extension containing a social room and men's changing room was opened in April 1965. During the 1970s money was raised through working bees, bottle drives and so on for another extension of four extra courts which opened in the early 1980s. Today Badminton Hall is under threat from the proposed widening of Ruahine St.